YOU CRACKED MY HEART OPEN AND SAW PIECES OF YOURSELF OOZE

Oh darling, is that why you ran away?

I.
I want to save you.
I want you to owe me, to be the reason behind your every inhale. (I want to mean everything to you.)
I want to be the one who exhumes you, who brings the light back on your face.

II.
I want you saved.
I want you inhaling. (I want you to still find meaning in all this.)
It doesn't matter if I get to be the one to do it. (It's okay if I don't matter anymore.)
I want the light back on your face.

III.
I saw you save yourself.
You are inhaling exhaling (finding and found).
I didn't matter (but so did everyone else) (I am hurt less because I wasn't replaced).
The light is back on your face, and dear God it's beautiful.

IV.
I saw you kill your old self.
Kicked it, pounced on it, buried it.

V.
I saw myself kill my love for you.
Kicked it, pounced on it, buried it.

VI.
Did I ever really love you -
or did I just love the idea of saving someone so frail?
Am I crying because my love for you is dead -
or because you killed your old self? (the version I loved?)

Do I only love you when you're miserable?

No comments:

Post a Comment